What We Do?
The purpose of celebrating the Cambodian Community Day is to bring Cambodian and American families/communities together to recognize Khmer achievements, to raise the awareness of Khmer culture, and to strengthen Khmer voice in America and in the world. We believe that Cambodian heritages are abundant, but few people in the world know about them. We seek to erase world's bad perception that Cambodia is a killing fields. However, Cambodian heritages that our ancestors left for us prove otherwise. In addition, Cambodian culture are very distinctive that we, the Cambodian, should be proud of and must do something to preserve.
CCD is a 501(c)(3) organization founded by a group of Cambodian volunteers in Washington DC areas for a purpose of promoting Cambodian culture. We have provided some ad hoc services to the Khmer community, participated in fundraising activities for other charitable organizations, and the foremost, we celebrate an exciting Cambodian Festival every year in the past 11 years. The festival is a token of solidarity in the Khmer communities surrounding Washington DC Metro areas. The festival has enabled us to develop bond, bridge differences and heal rifts in the Khmer communities. It also provides us a mean to reach out and share our value to American and other communities.The importance of the festival is that we have brought thousands of people in the community together to have fun and to share experiences in their life. Beside Buddhist temple, which is a religious entity, no other organization ever comes close to doing this in DC area.
Here are the CCD main purpose:
- help promote Cambodian culture in America;
- support Cambodians’ earnest efforts on history and cultural conservation;
- educate the public about Cambodian culture, heritage, custom, and tradition;
- foster coordination and cooperation with other groups of similar interests;
- raise community awareness about Cambodia’s history and culture and the importance of preserving them via mass communication and other means;
- disseminate truthful information about the Cambodian culture and related researches in Cambodia and the USA.
Check it out what we have done in the past 11 years.